The Faces of Open Source photographs may be used in a variety of ways depending on the nature of the usage. The rest of this page explains those distinctions but, if you ever have a question, feel free to get in touch with us.
You are free to use the images under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA) license. This license basically means you can use the images in a non-commercial way so long as you include attribution to “Faces of Open Source / Peter Adams” along with the image. If the usage is “on-line”, we also ask that you include a link back to the image’s page on this website.
Different people define non-commercial usage differently. Here are some examples of non-commercial usage that are acceptable:
- Use of an image in a personal blog post about open source, photography, etc.
- Use of an image in a school project.
- Use of an image in a presentation about open source.
- Sharing links to the images on social networks like Twitter, Facebook, etc.
- Use of an image in an article or blog post about (or promotes) the Faces of Open Source project!
Commercial license fees help us fund the on-going costs of the project. Therefore, we ask that you obtain a commercial license when using the images in a commercial manner.
For example, the following uses would require a commercial license:
- You would like to use the images in an editorial. An exception to this rule is if the editorial is about (or promotes) this project!
- You are a not-for-profit entity and want to use an image as part of a fund-raising campaign
- You are a technology company, and want to include an image as artwork for your corporate blog, website, or marketing
- You are a publisher and want to include an image in a book or reference publication
- You want a print of an image for use in your home or business
Obtaining a Commercial License
All commercial usage requires that you obtain a commercial license before you use the image. Commercial license fees are based on several factors:
- intended usage
- length of use
- medium of use
- geographic location
To obtain a license, please contact us with this information.
If you are still unsure about the commercial nature of your intended use, just get in touch with us before you use the image.